20160918

Mullaghcleevaun wild camp barefoot

If time is measured in ticks, I am older. Two weeks ago I had done a barefoot "run" over the nearby mountains Silsean and Moanbane and had complained of waste high heather and shoulder high ferns. During that "run" I had looked longingly at Mullaghcleevaun but time did not permit. Over the next couple of days I extracted several deer ticks and waited to see if there were more or if I had contracted Lyme disease. Thus no more mountain trekking for a while: but two weeks later I appear to still be well and figured this was a long enough embargo so, having carefully consulted the mountain weather forecast I decided at the last moment to do an overnight, but avoiding tall vegetation.  Did I enjoy it? I enjoyed the trekking but the camping bit... I think I prefer a house and a warm bed and home cooked food!

I took sandals with me in case of emergency but did not use them. There are many areas where it is hard to avoid sinking ankle deep, sometimes further, in muddy peat. Barefoot is so much simpler in such cases, although I will admit that some of the grass was quite sharp the feel.

The first part of my track followed my route two weeks ago as far as Silsean. Only now I had a back-pack and that steep ascent from Ballyknockan was hard work. Then I skirted around Moanbane, across Billy Byrne's Gap and thus to Mullaghcleevan Lough. Which is as beautiful a place as you might care to imagine.

Saturday going 9.5 miles, elevation gain 782m

I started out after lunch on Saturday and arrived at my destination a bit before 18:00 hours, set camp, went for a quick swim (as one does) in the lough, phoned home to say I was alive, and cooked "dinner" on Chris's camp stove. Bacon, rice and a stock cube washed down with cider, followed by Irish CDM for pudding.

Arrival detail Cleevaun lough

The detail map shows a bit of the return journey, my Android having decided to reboot just 10 minutes after leaving. The night was fitful - in spite of vast numbers of clothing layers I was cold. Having to get up to relieve myself several times was an accomplishment in itself and didn't help. But eventually dawn arrived.  I finally woke at 05:50 hours when it was just beginning to get light.

Sunday morning return 4.7 miles

After a cosy lie-in till 06:15, I got extricated myself from the sleeping bag, went out and tried to warm up by running in circles. During this exercise of limited success I discovered there was another tent nearby. Strange, I had not seen or heard anyone else.

In order to get home, have a shower and make myself presentable before our Sunday meeting at 10:00 hours I was obliged to break camp by 07:00 hours, so I quickly fried the remaining bacon and stuffed it into a dry crust of bread I had brought for the purpose (next time I must butter the bread) and forced it down with some water. Now ready to leave I first took some photos and discovered that the "tent" was in fact a rock!

Ali thankfully met me as arranged on the road down to Lacken and we made it to the meeting on time. Hence, in the map, the track petering out. So far I haven't found any ticks.

You can enlarge my pictures by clicking on them.


Our house is somewhere over there

The quarry track at Ballyknockan (and me)

Two weeks ago they had hardly started this tree felling 

First sight of the lough

From the beach

My tent quite close to the beach

Better phone signal here, and that's Mullaghcleevaun up there

The next set of pictures were taken on the way back.

Sunday morning - what I had thought was a tent

Sun-rise

Goodbye Cleevaun Lough

First sun 

Mist coming down on Mullaghcleevaun

See the deer on the ridge (click to enlarge)

First sight of our lake

Looking north to TV mast on Kippure

More deer (and deer mean ticks)

No chance of getting lost - I have GPS!

I want Black hill ahead, Sorrel hill to the right

Looking north again

Skirting Black hill I found this handy drainage ditch

Hallmark selfie

Looking back along the ditch

From the road down to Lacken

No comments:

Post a Comment