20160903

Lydia Pinkham




I'm reading Cat's Eyes by Margaret Atwood - amazing detail in her description of growing up - and hit upon a reference to Lydia Pinkham.

Long ago I used to enjoy the young people's meetings at NFC - perhaps enjoyed mostly for the food - but also because I respected the leaders Keith and Margaret. Because, though Brethren, they were fresh and generally unreligious. Unreligious enough to sing the then popular song Lily the Pink by the Scaffolds whilst admitting that it was a bit OTT. And so that song (mostly the tune of that song, see my last post) has stuck in my brain ever since. Along with such ditties as Telstar and Cherry Ripe.

We'll drink a drink a drink
To lily the pink the pink the pink
The saviour of our human race
For she invented, medicinal compound
Most efficacious in every case

The verses are more fun but I'll let you find out that for yourself.

And so it came as a surprise to realise that there actually was a Lily the Pink or more accurately Lydia Pinkham and she really did invent medicinal compound.




No comments:

Post a Comment