20160506

The new coffee religion




Not that long ago a cup of coffee here meant getting the jar of Nescafé out. And some folk here still prefer instant coffee. Several years back a visitor made a gift of a coffee machine - the Expresso kind that freshly grinds, compacts and infuses all in one operation - and this became the coffee of choice. But more recently some claim that the plunge-pot / French press / cafetiere makes a better cup, whilst others have gone back to a filter pot, making sure they freshly grind coffee beans for each pot. Together we consume vast amounts of coffee beans and the whole shebang is not cheap.

Me, I take tea in the morning. I find coffee too heavy a drink. And, taken in the evening, it can keep me from a good night's sleep. Whereas tea does not.

Tea is a good deal simpler. Sure you do have to boil the water, an important step sometimes missed by the Americans among us, and I like to heat the tea-pot or cup first, too. And there is the subtle difference between putting milk in first (English tradition) or afterwards (Irish tradition). Some establishments boast the luxury of choosing a blend. But for me it is just: dunk a generic tea-bag in the mug and pour in boiling water.

This morning here I am fixing my breakfast of cereal and a cuppa tea and I find the coffee pundits are around. There's a still-warm plunge-pot left for somebody to deal with (a hateful job), someone was grinding coffee beans as I ate and now the filter pot is on the brew, and another person just arrived to turn on the Expresso machine for their particular morning caffeine fix.

And we claim to be an "end time farm", back to basics, deny the flesh, a "live only for Jesus" community!

No comments:

Post a Comment