20160512

Fear of water

I don't have many memories of infant-hood, but I do remember rolling over in the bath. That was back when I shared the bath with my three years older sister, so I guess I was quite young. Rolling over, a baby finds its head under water and does not appreciate the experience. Apparently it is not uncommon.  It seemed to me at the time that the bath was a very dangerous place to be left unattended.

I wonder whether my fear of water and hate of my head being submerged started back then?  It wasn't until I was maybe 13 that I learned to swim and before that I was certain that I would sink if I let go. And to this day I don't dive or swim under water and get agitated if anyone tries to mess with me. And yet I love that feeling of freedom and often dream that I am swimming, though in my dreams the water generally does not let me "in" so I flounder on the surface - strange.

Swimming in the lake here is strongly discouraged because there have been several instances of drowning - in most cases because of stupidity.  There are, however, some secluded places that are relatively safe, although I have no intention of telling you where they are - and I have taken a brief plunge twice this year so far - brief because the water is still a bit too cold for my liking.


1 comment:

  1. in that case I blame my fear of water on my brother, who held my head under water at the Water Hole as I thrashed and tried to escape and only released me when I bit him... I completely freak if someone tries to duck me now...

    ReplyDelete