20160521

The elusive dead-end of Blessington Green Way


15.62 km including part of the green way

The lake is low at the moment making it easier to run along the shore line, although some parts are stony. My quest today was to use the curious dead-end of the Blessington greenway shown with a green blob on the official map below. The main part of the green way connects the Avon RĂ­ leisure centre to Russborough House and there are car parking facilities either end. But the most southerly part ends rather abruptly and  ignominiously at the lake and thus is not very useful unless of course one wants to get to that particular random spot. Which is why I had not, up until this afternoon explored it. So now I have done the whole length, although not in one go.


Blessington green way - part of the official map

The weather forecast was for rain which I positively embraced, and rain it did. Fortunately I was running barefoot and wearing only shorts, and as I have waterproof skin I was able to enjoy the rain to the full.

View from the point where I joined the lakeshore

This is about where the greenway ends at its south end

Same place, looking back. Yes it did rain quite heavily

I took the opportunity to swim at my usual spot - I stayed in at least a couple of minutes. I cannot tell you where this spot is, for obvious reasons, but I will say it is somewhere between the two places pictured above and below this text. Which narrows it down to perhaps 5 miles of shore line.

Nearer to home, showing how low the lake is

No comments:

Post a Comment