20161217

Which would be a good book to read




I have just finished reading Witch Wood, Buchan's favourite of his novels, and allegedly chosen one of 100 Best Supernatural novels ever written.

The novel is perhaps OTT in exposing the weakness of the Calvinist doctrine "once saved always saved" but exaggeration is, after all, a well worn literary tool. It is about those three realms: the devil, religious hypocrisy, and the Truth which is often a whole lot more practical than we expect. Above anything I found it such a very sad story, but I suppose no sadder than he was despised and rejected by men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief in that greatest story ever told and thus I found it to be true to life. I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who wants to loose bands of wickedness, undo heavy burdens, free the oppressed, and break every yoke.

Tomorrow Ali and I are leaving on a jet plane. Actually no, just in a car and only for three days, though seriously I sometimes toy with the idea of escaping. We have booked three nights stay in a hotel close south of here so, maybe, I might post some pictures. The excuse - we never celebrated our 40'th wedding anniversary.

No comments:

Post a Comment