20161221

The raven



Whilst Ali was doing the rounds of Wexford sewing shops I explored The Raven which is the sand spit at the south end of Curracloe beach made famous in 1977 by Steven Spielberg'a The saving of private RyanThis link has an interesting video about the filming.

My first attempt at access, in a bid to save fuel, was to park at the North Slob nature reserve and run along the sea wall to The Raven. "Slob" is a degeneration of "slab" thus mud flat - the land was reclaimed in the 1840's as a famine relief project, by building a sea wall and installing a pumping station. It is now the lowest land in Ireland. My plan was thwarted by many and strong notices forbidding my entrance, and there were PEOPLE around so I figured I had better play good. Geese (of a particular flavour) were allowed along there, but not humans (of any flavour). So I removed myself from these darling geese, disgusted enough not to even take a photo of the pumping station which I normally would have done. As if I would harm a goose...

That meant retracing my wheels and driving to Curracloe and running along the beach from there. It is a beautiful beach but time and weather was against properly enjoying it. Although I did swim a very short distance in a sort of lagoon (it was cold).

From where I started, looking south towards The Raven

Across the Slaney estuary from the point

Looking northwards from the point

Zooming in

The lagoon where I swam for 30 seconds - it was quite deep

Half way back to the car

I wondered if these were left over from Private Ryan


No comments:

Post a Comment