20161205

What's in a name?

I hated the way my mother would take her handkerchief, wet it with her saliva, and wipe my mouth pressing quite hard. I can almost remember the feint smell. And this would sometimes, oh the humiliation!, be in public. Don't tell me that very young children don't remember stuff!

Back then they used to call me Micky Dodo or Micky Doo. My dad called me Boyka.

In adult life I have been variously referred to as Mike, Mick, Micky, but my given name is Michael and I like it unadulterated. And besides, names, particularly in the Bible, have meanings and perhaps the meaning of my name is not insignificant.

This site seems to be an authority and claims "The name Michael is commonly translated with Who Is Like God?, but, more accurately, the name denotes an inquiry after the identity of God: Who's God? or What's God Like? ".  He then quotes Ex 15:11 and Ps 35:10.

If at the end of my life it could be said that in any way I helped anyone to understand better what God is really like - not the religious images that prevail but the real truth - then I would be satisfied.

And if I am to do that, I guess I had better first find out myself. And that may be less comfortable than many make it out to be.


No comments:

Post a Comment