20161009

Curragh shopping

Ali wanted to go to Newbridge so we went together and she shopped whilst ran. This seemed to me a good arrangement, and this time I explored the furthermost reaches of the Curragh, towards Rathangan. The route relies on the farm bridge over the N7 motorway.




Total distance 10.4 miles, average speed moving 6.2 mph. No mountains, lakes or rivers but there was a large muddy puddle, but puddles are no problem when barefoot.

I saw some folk busy looking hard for something in the grass. And it wasn't the sheep droppings which are so plentiful on the Curragh. I spoke to one man and he explained he was collecting mushrooms and he hastened to add that it wasn't the sort I was (apparently) thinking about. He showed me his tub - they were tiny - mostly stalk and with a cap less than a cm in diameter. He said they were wonderful with scrambled eggs. I thought more of the sheep dropping with which they had spent their lives so far.

I didn't think to photograph them. Strictly one is not allowed to photograph anything on the Curragh for fear that it might get into enemy hands and be the downfall of the Republic (the Curragh is one of the Irish Army's training grounds). I admit that I did take a couple of pictures though I was careful not to include anything that could possibly be thought to be sensitive, unless a spider's web...


Train bound for Kildare town

The muddy puddle - a foot deep in places!

Signal at danger

Another train, and racecourse fencing

Beautiful cloud effects

Spider's lace

The inevitable plus a few sheep

No comments:

Post a Comment