20160619

Golden Falls

Last time I ran from Poulaphouca to Ballymore Eustace via the Golden Falls lake I had no camera, so to make amends...

The complete route 20.2 km

Showing the hard incline out of Ballymore

Detail of off-road segment past the Golden Falls dam

From Poulaphouca to Ballymore Eustace is off-road and much more overgrown than the last time I did this route, with stinging nettles and thistles to avoid but hopefully no deer ticks. The two photos below are of the "roadway" I referred to in my last post, along which I ran - as you can see it is artificially raised above the field level, for what purpose I know not but it must have taken someone a lot of effort.

Embankment at 'A' looking towards 'B'


Ruin at 'B'

Embankment at 'C' looking towards 'D'

Golden Falls dam at 'D'

Same

The Golden Falls hydro scheme was commissioned in 1943 and has a 4MW capacity which is not a lot but I suppose is better than nothing.  To get to where I took the photos I had to cross a barb wire fence and accidentally trod on some barb wire that someone had helpfully left concealed in the grass. One got the feeling someone didn't want folk going this way. The puncture didn't draw blood and I have since cleaned and plastered it.  The thing is, sad to say, the world is no longer barefoot friendly. Having said that, issues of this kind are very rare if one is sensible.

Historic photo of same, I was at left-hand end of the dam


Well-worn path from dam to old woolen mill

The Liffey below the dam at 'E'

The Liffey below the dam at 'E'

Pukka footbridge over water treatment outflow at 'F'

In addition to the Poulaphouca and Golden Falls hydro schemes, The Ballymore water treatment plant also takes water from the Blessington Lake and adds all manner of chemicals to make it suitable for Dubliners to drink. Personally I am glad our water comes from a deep well and is not treated at all (well, not wittingly). So the bridge above crosses a small stream which comes from the treatment plant and contains, I suppose, all the stuff the Dubliners didn't want in their water. In spite of that the stream appeared reasonably clear.


No comments:

Post a Comment