20190802

Now we are sixty six

So I have this free travel card which entitles me to travel anywhere on public transport in Ireland. It seems a shame to waste it so, after a good bowl of muesli and cornflakes laced with evaporated milk, I set of with my backpack at 06:30 to the end of the road where I caught the one and only bus from here to Dublin. At the Square I transferred to the Luas tram to Heuston where I took the Intercity to Mallow, then the regional service to Killarney and finally the bus to Beaufort Bridge from where I walked for two hours (10km) to Cronin's Yard where is the most popular trail head to Carrauntoohil, the highest peak in Ireland.  Since I knew I would be tight for time on the morrow, I spurned the camp site there and strode a few more km to the base of the mountain and wild camped by Lough Callee, and ate dry sandwiches and fruit cake for dinner, washed down with water.

I had chosen Thursday for my early morning climb on the basis of this excellent site which correctly prophesied:


Exiting to relieve myself during the night I was awed at the clear night sky with the Milky Way clearly visible. You don't get that where we live near to Dublin.

I woke several more times, uncomfortable and cold, then realised it was lighter - I had overslept by 20 minutes and by the time I had struck camp and set off it was 06:10. The view across the lough of my intended uphill path was somewhat intimidating at that time in the morning but, trusting I would feel better about it once I had gained some altitude and some bodily warmth, I set off, hiding my tent and sleeping bag behind a conveniently obscure rock. Breakfast (a couple of muesli bars) had to be consumed on the way.

Not surprisingly I didn't meet anyone until I started my descent, but then there was a constant stream. It is a very popular trail.

The interesting part of my climb

Showing my route back to Beaufort Bridge

Here is my track from wild campsite to summit and back to Beaufort Bridge. Stats 11.7 miles, 2.78mph average speed moving, elevation loss 1219m. To this you might add the day before's trek from Beaufort Bridge up to campsite about 13km.

This image copied from the internet

My route up was by Brother O'shea's Gully, return via Devil's Ladder. I had to do this and get back to Cronin's Yard by 10:30 in order to make connections to get me home - if I missed a connection it worked out that I'd be delayed about 5 hours. In fact I made it to Cronin's Yard by 10:20, and so was able to get the only bus that would take me to our road, and arrived home at 19:30. A hot shower, a decent meal and my bed - oh, bliss!  Although I have removed two more ticks the day after...

Oh, oh, and I had to "manage" the wound on my foot from the recent St Kevin's Way trek when I had scraped some skin off the inside of the arch of my right foot. For a bare-foot runner this is somewhat of an encumbrance. I wore sandals on the mountain climb, but the sandals chaffed the wound...

Oh, and what did I do whilst camping and hiking? I don't do earphones and constant musaz. I did listen to some audio-book whilst in the tent. But whilst hiking I enjoyed just being, and contemplated my past life. What impact has my life made? Not much, but at least I have spawned four amazing children who already far exceed my weak attempts.

The following pictures are in reverse order again. As always, click on a picture to view it full resolution, after which you should be able to scroll through the pictures.


Goodbye Heuston station

Killarney station train approaching and some interesting pants

Our train approaching Killarney station

Killarney track alignment
That Killarney is in Kerry might explain the zany arrangement. First, to get from the bus station to the train station you have to walk the long way around the block - marked in red - why could they not have provided a pedestrian bridge? Second, the train from Tralee approaches from top left of my map (yellow), and then has to reverse back into the station (waiting for the driver to walk from one end of his train to the other to do so). If only they would move the station it would solve both problems.



Curious adulation in Beaufort

Goodbye Lough Callee

Well worn trail passing Lough Callee

That's the mountain I climbed earlier

Two lakes, descending Devil's Ladder

Looking back up Devil's Ladder

Just before descending Devil's Ladder

Cnoc na Toinne (other side of Devil's Ladder)

Looking down Devil's Ladder from its top

Descent

Looking back towards the summit


Loughs Coomloughra and Eagher

More me

The sheep I mentioned

Me again

Goodbye Carrauntoohil

So soft

I suppose it grew here, like the sheep?

Glorious

Selfie

Looking around, and me

The summit in sight

Another peep at Cummeenoughter

Caher mountain

The other side of the saddle and Lough Coomloughra

The opposite peak

Carrauntoohil somewhere up there

Almost at the saddle

Scree

Further up and further in

I suppose this is thingummy's gully

Climbing above this highest lake

Beautiful Cummeenoughter Lake - I tested the water but a bit too cold

707m looking forward


At a height of 707m above sea level, Cummeenoughter Lake is the highest lake in Ireland is


707m looking back

Looking forward

Looking back

And then started going up seriously

It flattened out for a bit

See the trail?

Most folk are still in bed, missing this grandeur

The sun is up, or my camera's white balance is confused

Lough Gouragh

Getting closer - about here I hid the tent

Morning

Leaving my camp site

The morning after - almost no wind

Devil's Ladder at centre

That's the giant I have to tackle

Lough Callee, near here I camped

The trail, looking back towards Cronin's Yard

Beautiful countryside

Entering hill country

Still just me

Lots of hydrangea in these parts

Ogham stones

Some education on the way

Beaufort Bridge over River Laune

I think I mentioned I like trains?

Leaving home

Proof that it was me taking the photos


1 comment: