20180711

To play or not to play

Most of the men here have been or are glued to a computer screen watching England vs Croatia. I'm not sure which because I have been unable to tell, even by Googling, whether the game has actually ended or not. Because I do not speak the right language. What is a "break" anyway?

I sit at my computer here in stark contrast.  OK, it's kind of good to be with other folk playing a game but, apart from that, the idea of knocking a ball around has no interest whatsoever for me, whether it is football, tennis or whatever.

I have childhood memories: the kid next door was my best friend for a while and we would play cops and robbers and such like - until he started taking an interest in football. Another childhood friend lived a few streets away: his parents had a TV (mine did not) and, when at his place, I hoped it would be on the cartoon channel. More often than not, however, his father would be watching match of the day, a deep disappointment! 

Keeping fit, especially the CrossFit kind, is the rage here now-a-days. People will be seen churning away inside at the rowing machine or tread-mill when, outside, the sun is shining. I just cannot understand it - if you want to run why not do it in God's beautiful world? And it is beautiful here: we overlook a lake and mountains.

At this time of the year it is getting dark at 22:00 and gets light before 05:00, and yet People will stay up all hours and only drag themselves out of bed at the latest possible time in the morning. My body is through by 22:00 and the light wakes me in the morning - which seems natural enough to me, exception though I may be.

Thankfully people here have come to accept my strange ways...

No comments:

Post a Comment