20140628

Beautiful Ireland 2


Beautiful Ireland from Church Mountain

Last Sunday I was returning the long way from a swim in the river and happened upon three mountain-cyclists about to head over the pass between Corriebracks and Church Mountain. On their encouragement I followed their route this afternoon, parking my bike on the way down to walk (barefoot of course) to the summit of Church Mountain. The last time I climbed this mountain was many years ago - I think in the snow with my younger daughter who was so small the snow kept coming over her boots so I had to carry her.  

I strongly recommend this route to anyone who enjoys the outside. We live somewhere close to those lakes you see in the panorama above. Like I said before - Wow! We are so blessed to have places like this within walking or cycling distance! 

My new road bike has aluminium rims and I thought might not like the stones and ruts, so I used my trusty "mountain" bike (aka my old road bike promoted).

Courtesy Google Maps: Yellow = cycling, Red = walking
(Click on image to display large version)

So here are some more pictures from the trip:

You can see the track over the hills and far away

Looking back, and the typical track surface

Half-way up - looking towards Hollywood

My trusty mountain bike and one of the many gates to negotiate

The pass summit - looking south

The pass summit - looking west towards Church Mountain

Here I left my steed and climbed on foot - literally

View from the summit of Church Mountain

The cairn enclosing the remains of a church

In memory of someone or other who also loved these hills

Last glance back at the summit


The descent towards Donard

On the way home through Hollywood Glen

No comments:

Post a Comment