20180803

Am I Hugo?

I may have said before that Hugo must rank as one of my most enjoyed films. There are so many aspects to the film that are executed so superbly. And yet, and here I quote Wikipedia: Hugo was also nominated for eight BAFTAs, winning two of the eight, and was nominated for three Golden Globe awards, earning Scorsese his third Golden Globe Award for Best Director. Despite this, the film was a commercial failure, grossing $185 million against its $150–$170 million budget. I remain sad that I never saw it on the big screen and in 3D.

Anyway, back to subject... When the uncle Claude died (actually in my case he became too involved with his business) I tacitly assumed full responsibility for our wood-burning boiler. At this time of the year we don't need central heating but it supplies all our hot water. Who here thinks, when they turn the hot tap on, that the water didn't just get hot all by itself? And what Gare Montparnasse passers by considered that the station clocks didn't just wind themselves up?

There are so many aspects of community life that one tends to take for granted. Someone has to wash those dishes you leave on the draining board late at night. Someone is keeping the front lawn mowed, and weeding the flower beds, cooking the dinner, etc... the list goes on!  And, no, I do not do all those things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment