20150717

Irish railways



In a previous post I claimed to be a mild siderodromomaniac and so it is with considerable shame that I confess that I have only recently realised that the Irish track gauge is 5' 3" (1600mm) and not the standard gauge 4' 8.5" of the UK. You'd think...

Wikipedia has a nice animated map illustrating the progressive axing of railways in Ireland, similar to what happened in the UK under Beeching. Or here for a good history. Here is the best map I could find of the rail network before the axing. Click on the image to enlarge it or view the original.


So what? I hear you say. I find the past of interest when I discover remnants: reminders of days gone by. For example my post about the bridge over the Liffey that carried the Naas to Tullow line. Or when I hear glad tidings about plans to create more Irish greenways some of which use the course of disused railways. Here's one that is already open which I would like to explore. 

I sometimes look for remnants when running or by comparing on-line satellite imagery with old maps - see this post. Ordnance Survey Ireland (osi) has a handy on-line map viewer that can superimpose modern aerial imagery with historic maps dating back to 1830's and 1900's. 

And, whilst not wanting to grow older any faster than my present escalating rate, I look forward to using my promised free pass on all Irish public transport. 

No comments:

Post a Comment