20150214

Essence

Essence: (n) - the intrinsic nature or indispensable quality of something, especially something abstract, which determines its character.



I have a book on my shelf "The essence of Bruckner" by Robert Simpson. I purchased it whilst a student and it has stayed with me all this time because it is sacrosanct. But I regret I have tried hard to appreciate his analysis of the symphonies but largely failed. But then must I understand the details in order to enjoy music? Or know the recipe and underlying food science to enjoy a meal? Thus I lost his "essence" in the detail. I love being alive and nature (watching films like the Lord of the Rings I want to stop the plot and enjoy the fantastic scenery) and, for me, the essence of Bruckner's music is that it evokes all that is best in life. It doesn't need analysis. It doesn't need a plot.

The concept of, for example, "essence of vanilla" - the ability to reduce something large down to the only part that matters - has always intrigued me.

I was in a meeting recently: so called "praise" was going on all around me (I often find it too loud so that it distorts in my ears). And I thought - did I sign up for this? When all the tangibles are noise and rote I wonder - what is the essence of Christianity? Is it not "to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo the straps of the yoke, to let the oppressed go free, and to break every yoke? To share your bread with the hungry and bring the homeless poor into your house; when you see the naked, to cover him, and not to hide yourself from your own flesh?" and how much of that do I do? Mind you, I'm not agin praise and worship but, for me, it is closer to the music of Bruckner than to the all-loud-volume songs accompanied by heavy drum-beat that is so common now-a-days. If, so saying, I tread on your toes then I apologise - but we are not and do not need to be all the same.

1 comment:

  1. You are among friends. Many of us are Bruckner lovers! Have a look at my article on www.theharpistofmadrid.com! Gordon Thomas

    ReplyDelete