20140907

Kippure


Bike ride: 57 miles, maximum 39.7 mph, average 11.1 mph (because I was tired when I started!). Blessington, Cloghleagh Bridge, Sally Gap, Kippure, Glenmacnass, Larragh, Wicklow Gap.


Upper reaches of Shankill River

At Cloghleagh Bridge I stopped and walked upstream (last time I went downstream to the Liffey) and was suitably impressed by the accessibility and many pools some deep enough to swim in.

Looking back down the Shankill to Cloghleagh bridge

There are many pools like this, some deep enough to swim

At this point I turned back. Why do humans destroy what they are given?

Resuming my journey towards the Sally Gap I stopped again because this part of the Liffey valley is so beautiful.


My favourite part of the Liffey valley

Same, looking back, a bit further up

That's the river Liffey, now but a stream

I turned left at the Sally Gap summit to explore Kippure. There were zillions of notices forbidding close encounter and besides the private road to the top was very steep so I did not quite make it to the top.

The TV mast on Kippure

View from same - you can just make out the sea

That pointy thing to the right is the Sugar Loaf mountain near Bray.  Then is was mostly downhill all the way to Larragh.


Much needed lunch stop on the Military Road

At Larragh I refuelled and started the ascent, stopping a bit further up than usual for my customary stop to regain breath. The idea was to find some more adits but no joy and motivation for further exploration was ebbing by this stage.


Clear water near Turlough Hill (there were fish)

St Kevin's way crosses here

No comments:

Post a Comment