20140914

Uffculme run




The occasion: a relative-in-law's surprise 70'th birthday party. I had a spare couple of hours before we needed to set off so ran to Uffculme and back, barefoot of course.  Here you can see my track, the total distance being just short of 9 miles. The photos were taken on my smart phone with the scratched camera "lens" so are a bit misty. I left just after 06:00 so enjoyed the sunrise and best part of the day.


Sunrise over Uffculme Straight

Turning left in Uffculme I found this delightful path over a field - delightful, that is, to bare feet!  The letters in brackets refer to the map above.

Footpath through meadow (A)

Doubling back into Uffculme again I chanced upon this strange brick building which was, apparently, built as a brewery, see http://blackdownarchives.org.uk/category/trades/page/14/


William Furze’s Steam Brewery (B)

Leaving Uffculme I crossed the river (along which there is a grassy footpath which must therefore be the subject of a future run), and ascended to Gaddon Down.

River Culm

Interesting business venture

Uffculme from Gaddon Down (C)

My route then skirted around Bradfield House and returned across the Culm and through Willand old village.


Bradfield House grand entrance

Bradfield House side view

Early morning feeding

There used to be a railway along the Culm valley which doubtless served the brewery and also a large mill in Uffculme. Regrettably I did not get to see much evidence so that must also be fuel for the next time I am in this neck of the woods.

Culm valley railway

No comments:

Post a Comment