20140831

Australia at large

Australia is a huge place. To set me in the mood and to see some of the Australia beyond the tiny area we visited I watched two films on the 'plane. I could not hear the soundtrack so missed some of the plot. Rabbit Proof Fence follows three aboriginal girls who run away, after being plucked from their home to be educated by "well meaning" whites. Tracks tells the true story of Robyn Davidson, a young woman who in 1977 undertook a perilous solo trek across 1,700 miles from Alice Springs to the western coast. The photography was stunning. I took some screen shots whilst watching Tracks - the nearest I got to seeing Ayres Rock!

Ayres Rock

Mia Wasikowska as  Robyn Davidson

Whilst crossing Australia on our way home I had GPS active on my smart-phone so was able to verify that we crossed directly over Lake Eyre which is Australia's largest salt lake and lowest elevation of 15m below sea level. It is the world's 13th largest lake. Except that most of the time it is dry - just salt flats. According to this site it was mostly dry when we crossed.

Lake Eyre from the air

And whilst in "large" mode - here is the point where we crossed the equator according to my GPS:

Actually a few seconds late!

X marks the spot


No comments:

Post a Comment