20140707

How accidents happen

So - yesterday I cycled some 40 miles to the coast, had a quick bite to eat, then met up at Brittas Bay with the youngsters who had come by car. Their first action was to jump in the sea. After resting for 5 minutes or so I thought I would join them and show some solidarity. The sea at Brittas bay gets deep slowly and they were far out by this time - I supposed on a sand bank. Oh, and I forgot to say, I have hurt my chest - maybe a bruised rib or wot-not, it is better than it was but still not 100%. I found I was up to my shoulders on my way out and still no sign of a sand-bank. Anyway I got to where they were, almost out of my depth, and swam around a bit like one does, then decided it was too cold and made for the shore (the others soon followed, it having started to rain). But it seemed like it was only getting deeper. I could not swim well because of my chest and I am not a strong swimmer anyway, and I could not propel myself by foot and, worse still, I was getting cramp. And I now know that the tide was coming in, so I guess it really was getting deeper. I have to admit that I started to panic. But the others were nearby and one had a float which I requisitioned and another helped tow me back until I was well within my depth. By the time I got to the shore my cramp was so bad in both legs that I could not stand. So what would have happened had I not had friends around? Of course it is unlikely that I would have gone so deep on my own, I am that frightened of water, but I might have.

The feeling of panic was scary because it reversed all the self-preservation adrenalin reactions that should have kicked in. It was as if something was telling me "that's it, chum" and was urging me to agree.

And the succession of circumstances - I should not have gone into cold water so deep, so soon after strenuous cycling, or so soon after eating - I was in fact not being careful.  That's how accidents happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment