20120715

And on to Oxford

Back in those days caning had not been banned.

Duke of Edinburgh's visit 1965

John Ashurst (Jake) became headmaster at Peter Symond's just before I started.  He was strict and would use the cane if necessary, but just and most of us respected him.  I vaguely remember the Duke of Edinburgh's visit - it coincided with a "general inspection" of the Combined Cadet Force.  There was one of these each year: all cadets had to stand in the playing fields in full uniform for the duration, maybe three hours - thankfully at ease until the inspecting team came to one's platoon.  Inevitably several boys would feint in spite of having been told how to periodically adjust the pressure on one's feet without it showing.

All that as prelude for the fact that it was Ashurst who was responsible for me going to Oriel College, Oxford.  When it came to that time when third level education had to be decided, Ashurst told me I was Oxbridge material and, on hearing that I wanted to do Electronics Engineering, told me I should study Physics and choose Oriel College.  Thankfully it was no longer necessary to have Latin to matriculate otherwise I would not be here typing this.  There were, however, special entrance examinations which we were groomed for, and (horrors!) a requirement to pass a "Use of English" exam.  I suppose I must have passed the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment