20120707

Barefoot running after the deluge

Yesterday it started raining at lunch time. It rained and it rained and it rained. Piglet told himself that never in all his life, and he was goodness knows how old--three, was it, or four?--never had he seen so much rain. Days and days and days.  Well actually - well into the night.  This is the rain that was forecast to cause much flooding in the UK.  It would have to rain a lot for us to be flooded, mind you.  I woke in the night (to relieve myself) and the wind was howling.  I had kinda planned to go running in the morning as it was forecast to be warm and wet.


I first woke (after the above) at some unearthly hour and got out of bed, went to the bathroom to change into my running togs (so as not to wake Ali) only to find that I was still lying snug in bed.  This dream reoccurred several times before I actually got up and, lo, the storm had passed, the wind had calmed, and there was even some blue sky.





Thomas Cole (1801 - 1848) The Subsiding of the Waters of the Deluge



The Deluge, engraving by William Miller after the painting by John Martin



The Morning after the Deluge c. 1843  Joseph Mallord William Turner


So I did the usual forest run, a bit squishy under foot in places, but not as bad as the pictures suggest. The subject "the morning after the deluge" has tickled my fancy since early childhood.  Turner is some distant relation of Ali's side of the family, but I approved of his paintings long before I knew this.  The squiggle in the middle is, I am told, meant to portray the serpent as in Genesis.

The rest of the day has had, possibly, the best weather for a long time.  It was very hot in the "jacuzzi" tunnel so I took the opportunity of emptying, cleaning and refilling the jacuzzi.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, maybe I'll go and use the jacuzzi! :) In Turner's painting, I think if you look closely you can see the faces of all the people drowned in the deluge :P

    ReplyDelete