20120415

Running bare feet 2

The good Lord would not have given us bare feet if we were meant to wear shoes all the time.  Now there is an internet presence for bare feet running it is no surprise to find the opposite viewpoint expressed, see http://www.runningbarefootisbad.com/ but their counter arguments do not convince me.

You can check out all the sites that advocate bare foot running.  I did this when I was first considering it but now the only thing that matters to me is that I like to doing it.  Here are some of my reasons:


1. Above all, it feels good.  Once one's feet have hardened a bit.  Your body will interact with the surface you are running on; your eye will seek out a path that avoids obstacles.  Running on smooth grass is the best, but sand or mud is also pleasurable.  It is good to be that bit closer to nature.  Indeed I would choose to run entirely naked for the same reason if it were not social unacceptable.


2. Clearly it is not true that it is positively bad for you - there are many peoples in the world who go bare foot either out of necessity or choice;

3. Most people (and my intuition too) say that it is better for you.  There are some good testimonials in http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-240-319--6728-0,00.html.  My own experience confirms that I land on the heel when in shoes, whilst I tend to use the ball of the foot when bare foot which softens the blow which must be better on the knees;

4. My biggest expense in running is for shoes and socks.  I gave up socks a long time ago, and now I use shoes much less I must be saving myself some money.

5. One of my courses involves swimming across a river.  It is a good deal easier swimming without shoes on!

I have a couple of courses from my home that I can now manage without shoes at all - both are about 5 miles in length.  In each case I have to tread slowly and carefully for short distances over the worse parts.

Do not expect to run a whole course bare foot from day one (unless you are blessed with golf links nearby) - it takes time for your soles to harden and time to adapt to the implied different gait.  You will get the occasional cut or thorn, but you will not get blisters.  At first you might stub your toe a few times. I have been running bare foot for at least 6 months now and my feet are only starting to adapt.  There is no shame in carrying your shoes with you if you are in any doubt about the terrain and you certainly should to start with.

I personally think it is worth it.  The shoe manufacturers have sold us a lie in making us believe that you need "good" running shoes!

No comments:

Post a Comment