20220402

Pitch magnet

I have mentioned that I suffer from tinnitus. It manifests as white noise in the upper register and is always present but most of the time I can ignore it. It is not so annoying as to prevent me carrying on a normal life, except when my surroundings are quiet or when I want to listen to a quietly spoken voice or music. Additionally, but related, is the discomfort I feel in a noisy environment such as at meal-time or the cacophony in praise-time in church.

I enjoy listening to music (my tastes are mostly classical) and playing the piano (though not well). One effect, doubtless caused by the tinnitus, that I have recently noticed is that I am unable, or at least find it difficult, to detect the pitch of a quiet note, particularly if it is in the lower register. For example, when sight reading music I know when I have played a wrong note - unless I am playing it very quietly. And then I am at least aware of the sound but I cannot be sure that it is the right pitch. Probably this is because the volume of the tinnitus is partially obscuring the note. I like to harmonise when singing in church but, again, I can be unsure that I am singing the correct pitch. 

For someone who loves listening to and making music this is kind of scary. Like, where will it end?  Am I to share Beethoven's destiny (though without the musical acumen)?

Apparently this is a known effect as in this site which suggests that "tinnitus acts as something of a pitch magnet, drawing the voice or instrument to inaccurate notes."

No comments:

Post a Comment