20200425

The Artful Dodger



Does anyone else, in this coronavirus lockdown that besets us, turn to Youtube videos? I happened to chance on Terry Wogan interviewing Jack Wild and Mark Lester together in 2012. What struck me was how different these two actors were. One question Terry asked was whether either of them ever watched the film now. Mark said yes, often. Jack responded saying Mark he was mad to!

The film "Oliver" left a lasting impression on me, as I explained in a previous post.  I have watched it several times since and would gladly watch it again on the big screen. It remains one of my all-time favourite films.

What I hadn't realised until I started Googling after watching that interview was... Jack Wild was born in September 1952, just a few months before me.  The film was released in September 1968 so allowing a few months both Jack and I were then 16 years of age.

Quoting from his obituary in The Guardian: Jack was a millionaire at 18 and an alcoholic by 21, has died after a long battle with oral cancer, aged 53. He was also a diabetic and a heavy smoker.  And I thought - how sad.

At least he himself reckoned, as told in It's A Dodger's Life: "I only wish I’d invested the money and not drank quite so much. But other than that I don’t think there is much else I’d change. And I did have a lot of fun. And I honour him for that honesty.

In contrast, once past youthful flings, Mark studied hard to become a professional osteopath and is still alive.  And I'm kind-of glad he still watches the film he starred in, because it makes me feel OK about loving it.

And where does that place me?

No comments:

Post a Comment