20200322

The birds are still singing



The governments of the world are at their wits end, employers are dismissing staff, many shops are closed, there are limited transport options, food shortages and general instability. We are daily bombarded with coronavirus news casts. Conspiracy theories abound and it is sometimes hard to know what or who to believe.  Although on the plus side there are encouraging stories of altruism like Donegal chefs providing free meals for the elderly.

And yet I look up and see birds still flying. The sun is still shining. The mountains are still beckoning me. And life goes on, albeit restricted in certain areas. So far we are still healthy. I'm still barefoot running.  And so I did - my first foray this year to Church Mountain

My track: 15 miles, 822m height gain

I met a number of groups and a few single folk - more that I would normally expect even for a sunny Sunday afternoon. Lots of traffic on the Wicklow gap road. You'll see in my photos three groups in the cairn on the top. And the Gardai had to close Glendalough because there were two many tourists flouting the distance rule.

And the future... who knows?  Some say the world will never be the same. And we have to believe that God is in control.

Looking back on the way up

Almost at the top - our lake in the distance

Two groups on the cairn

A third group on the right

View from the top

More views

Our lake

Scalp aka Slievecorragh

My path turned into a stream

More cars parked at base than usual

St Kevin's Way, Hollywood

No comments:

Post a Comment