20180910

Testimony to a very low lake

Several years ago the level of the Blessington lake (or reservoir) was artificially made low so that work could be done on the dam. This year the lake has become quite as low as it was then but this time it was due to lack of rain.

On returning from two weeks in the UK I noticed how much lower the level had become and decided to run around the Kings River end on Saturday afternoon (a week ago) to suss it out, it being a warm and sunny day. The experience satisfied. The area where the Kings River enters is normally flooded and out of my depth but now the river channel was narrow and shallow, with large sand banks exposed. And I met some regular fishers who asked me where was my dog! I think these were the same folk that, several years back, had helped me find Meg after she had run off after some rabbit or whatever.

I figured I would repeat the exercise one morning this week. Somewhat foolishly as it was only 7 degC and, scantily clad as usual, so I got rather cold. But having got half way around I had to finish which I duly did and am here to tell the tale. No swimming though.

This Sunday afternoon the weather was clement and, having attended to two WC's in the house here that had broken (story of my life) but having nothing else pressing to do, I set out again, this time armed with a camera.  The latter was because I reckoned the lake, so low, warranted Special Attention. I passed the usual fishing regulars and several others.

S'funny. My son went off fishing at much the same time as I left for my run. And these men I passed who asked after my dog: doubtless they look at me, besmirched with mud, and think 'crazy guy'. And I look at them with similar lack of comprehension. But we share the same lake amicably.

As usual you can enlarge my pictures by clicking on them.

My route around Kings River end of lake from Bing maps

To start I cross the bridge and climb over the parapet at 'A' and go around the Kings River end of the lake in an anticlockwise direction (the same course as my son and I did many years ago on mountain bike and petrol scooter, only that time the tide was in). I run where I can, but some areas are too stony and slow me down. The course would be very difficult it tackled shod.


Lots of dykes, ditches and hedges not normally visible

And a zillion new islands and penisulae

And all rather muddy

From 'B' looking back towards the bridge

The level has never become low enough to access this island near 'C'

Ancient roadways appear - this one at 'D'

This stream at 'E' is normally an inlet to the lake

Kings River at 'F'

Kings River looking towards lake - note the people!

All this area is normally flooded

Fording the river knee deep, it is usually an out of my depth swim

A week ago the river was a mere stream. And I've seen it far more bloated than in this picture. One needs to watch the weather before making assumptions about its depth and flow.

Looking up Kings River, all this is normally part of the lake

Looking back along the river nĂ©  lake from 'G'

This and a piebald horse were near 'H' on all three runs



Near 'J' looking south

Near 'J'

Note the partially submerged fences

A Very Muddy Place near 'K'

Ordance Survey Ireland have an on-line map service where you can overlay a modern map (of the lake) with a historic map (dated 1888-1913, before the lake was flooded), which shows the above fence-lines. The photo above was taken from where the stream (blue) crosses the fence-line (orange).




Back to the bridge at 'L'

The closest post is dry when the lake is "normally low"

Civilisation



No comments:

Post a Comment