20180916

Old Kilcullen and The Curragh revisited


My track (both bike and running)

Sunday afternoon - because the original plan was to go to the Valleymount Farmer's Market but then we didn't - I did my usual 5 miles or so run early morning and thus had the afternoon free. It being bike-clement (not much wind, not too cold) I dusted down my trusty steed and set off, checking out a new improved route to the Curragh. Which took me near to the Round Tower in Old Kilcullen so I made the necessary detour.  This is one of the "enchanted places" I noted in a previous post. I get to pass two more such places later on.

Total distance 33.8 miles of which about 30 miles were on bike.





Towards the Wicklow Mountains



Towards the hill Cnoc Ailinne on which is Dún Áilinne

It is not much further to the Curragh and I park my bike in the usual secluded spot and padlock it to a fence post.  After running (barefoot) a few hundred metres I get a thistle thorn in my foot and turn back to avail of Leatherman and glasses in my bike pack. But by the time I get back, sit and and inspect the damage the thorn has gone all by itself.  So I set off again and make for the first of two observation posts, which one has to climb (why else are they there?).

Strange Harfang-like earthworks from 1st observation post

The knoll (Braveheart hill) which is my next destination

Another earthwork - maybe the Irish Army practise on these

Dirt bike trail

There were several youngsters doing the course
 
View from the second observation post

Proof that I wos here!

Then the reward - enjoying a Cadburys Creme Egg sluiced down with water.  The return route had to be different of course and I took the opportunity to check out the road near Ballymore that has been closed for yonks. I figured that a man and a bike could get through whatever the problem was but I was wrong. Apparently they did not want me to proceed so I had to retrace my steps (or pedals). I'm pretty sure I could have made it on foot though - maybe I'll try some day.



No comments:

Post a Comment