20180823

Utterly running late



Willand to almost Bickleigh and back


Bickleigh on Google Maps

My goal was to reach the river Exe at Bickleigh Mill and explore the famous bridge, mill with its weir, and railway centre. I am an advocate of the Oxford comma without which that list would have meant something different. I got within a quarter mile (see aerial photo above) but then, sadly, had to turn back, like...

This time, we were just about to land, maybe three feet... when, what do you think, we run out of gasoline again. Back we go and get more gas.

...because I had an appointment to keep. Even so it felt (on the way back) as if this was going to be at least an 18 mile round trip and I was a bit miffed to find my GPS trip statistics claimed a mere:

- total distance 15.83 miles
- average speed moving 5.53 mph (11:37 min per mile)
- elevation gain 832m
- maximum elevation 213m
- minimum elevation 44m


Butterleigh Meadow

My route took me through the beautiful Devon village of Butterleigh, which boasts a nice meadow for running barefoot in, and then past James' farm, the significance of which will be apparent to only a Few who will also know the significance of the eggs for sale there. 


James' farm

Eggs for sale

And back via Brithem Bottom, which is to this area as Crewe is to British Rail, where I was obliged to phone Ali to warn her that I was running late...

No comments:

Post a Comment