20150901

To gym or not to gym



I may have mentioned this before but, for exercise and stability of mind, I run typically 5 miles or more, barefoot, several times a week. I wear shorts for modesty, a T-shirt if it is cold, and don't care too much what I look like. Of those that live in the same community here some don't exercise but those that do... well that's what this post is about. Don't get me wrong - I am not saying what they do is wrong, just that it is beyond my comprehension.

These folk require special and expensive machines to do what they do. The machines in turn require a "gym" to house and use them in. They have to dress up in special, strange and generally skin-tight gym outfits. As a result they no doubt keep themselves fit, no doubt fitter (but then they are a good deal younger) than I am. But the expense, and the rigmarole they have to go through!

I am reminded of our hi-tech coffee machine, the type that grinds beans freshly for every cup. This machine needs constant TLC - emptying the drip tray, emptying the grounds bin, filling with beans and water, periodic de-scaling, etc. It has a zillion error indicator lamps (well, almost) and malfunctions in almost as many ways. And the coffee it makes - frankly, most people prefer that from a plunge-pot. I compare this with: put a tea-bag in a mug, pour in boiling water and add milk to taste and, voilĂ , one mug of tea.


1 comment: