20131228

Did God create my watch?

Probably everyone knows about the watchmaker analogy. Having been brought up by fairly conservative evangelical parents and in a very conservative evangelical church I can remember preachers who would dig this one out in the "gospel service". I must say it didn't do much for me - the conclusion that surely God must have created the world did not seem to me to follow necessarily. And whether I or anyone else thinks it does or does not will not change whether it actually happened or not.  And those who think not will of course dis those that uphold the argument as proof of a divine creator.

José Cordeiro
José Cordeiro

And so my ears perked up when I read an interview with José Luis Cordeiro in E&T this afternoon whilst taking a bath (as one does). This man claims all manner of futuristic stuff including a prediction that 2045 will be the year of the singularity when "we will reach hardware and software immortality". You will have to read the article to have any chance of decoding the jargon.  He appears to be the David Ike of technology.

Anyway the bit that made my ears perk was regarding us humans creating brain upgrades and doing a better job (and here I quote) "Remember, our brains are the product of random evolution and we are creating things by design". Notice the complete reversal of the "watchmaker analogy". And because the preacher's analogy left me cold I regret to say that José's reversed version does likewise. But it makes interesting bath-time reading none the less.

No comments:

Post a Comment