20120804

Oxford 3 - The Boyfriend

I had a very sheltered upbringing: no TV until late in secondary school, no bicycle until I was 13, no pop music, no alcohol, five meetings every Sunday, very infrequent trips to the cinema or theatre, and I have always hated parties. I did not suffer, on the contrary I honour my parents because I think my upbringing kept me from excesses later in life. But not surprisingly my student days were "liberating". I discovered cider, saw films that my parents probably would not have approved of, and found that there were Christians outside of my parents' choice of denomination. I had already discovered (at school) that friendship did not have to concur with choice of faith.


One film I remember in particular was Ken Russell's rendition of "The Boyfriend" staring Twiggy. The reason I remember it in particular was that, afterwards, Neil Mapley said how wonderful Sandy Wilson's music was, which set me thinking "why?" only to discover that the music was indeed worth repeating. For a brief synopsis "Rather than film the musical The Boy Friend, Russell made the film about the making of the musical. When the star of a show breaks a leg, the newcomer, Twiggy, has to take her place. A major film director comes to look at the show as a possible new film."



The track that made the most impression was "All I want is a room in Bloomsbury". The clip starts with the song being sung "straight" on the stage. I guess what I like is the surreal jump into a fantasy portrayal of the "room in Bloomsbury"



and then the jump through the window into a deeper level of fantasy...




where they find themselves in a sort of fairy land. It is all so delightfully cheesy (intentionally, as the plot is about an amateur production).


A life of wealth does not appeal to me at all 
Do you agree at all? 
I do 
The mere idea of living in a palace is 
So full of fallacies 
That's true 
I've got a very different sort of scheme in mind 
It's just a dream designed 
For two 
Would you care to hear about it, dear? 
Would I care to? Can you doubt it, dear? 

All I want is a room 
In Bloomsbury 
Just a room that will do 
For you and me 
One room's enough for us 
Though is on the top floor 
Life may be rough for us 
But its troubles we'll ignore 
On a Wintery night 
I'll light a fire 
Everything I shall do 
As you desire 
You'll be sitting 
And you'll be knitting 
And so contented we'll be 
In our dear little room in Bloomsbury 

All I want is a room 
In Bloomsbury 
Just a room that will do 
For you and me 
I'll sew the covers for 
Two old cosy armchairs 
Neighbours will love us for 
We shall laugh at all our cares 
While I'm reading a book 
I'll cook a stew 
Then I'll bake a plum duff 
Enough for two 

In our attic 
We'll be ecstatic 
As lovebirds up in a tree 
All we want is a room in Bloomsbury 


No comments:

Post a Comment