20120602

Alresford Mill

I'm talking about the flour mill, not the present-day-tourist-attraction-fulling-mill.

I have memories of my dad taking me to the flour mill in Mill Hill when it was still operational - or was it a mill somewhere else?  Was that building by the station also a mill?

Anyways - I remember it being a scary place for small child, but with a wonderful smell - on many different levels with polished metal chutes down which sacks of flour were tossed, wooden ladders between the wooden floors, chains hauling bags of flour up through a vertical hole in all the flours, constant noise of machinery, and flour everywhere.  Here is the best picture I could find on the web that sums up my memories, although this is of the recently restored mill in Winchester:

No comments:

Post a Comment