20190618

Mullaghcleevaun new route

There are some forestry tracks on the left just before the final ascent to the Wicklow Gap on the R756 heading Eastwards. The challenge was to make it to Mullaghcleevaun from home in an afternoon on bike and barefoot. Because of the off-paved-road segments I thankfully rode my old bike up to the summit of these forestry tracks (red arrow on map), then headed on foot.

The interesting part of my track
Distance on bike 21 miles roundtrip, elevation gain 498m
Distance on foot 6.6 miles roundtrip, elevation gain 407m

It was hardly running - too much boggy peat for that. Surprisingly I met two hiking parties. The chief guy on the second party stopped to talk with me. I was dressed in running shorts, period. He was dressed in typical hiking gear, boots and walking sticks. He asked me if I was all right. He repeated - was I sure I was all right?  I suppose we come for different universes.

On the return journey I mounted my bike and careered down the steep forestry track only to find that its sharp stones had punctured my rear tyre. I had no repair tools so was forced to ride the rest of the way home on the rim. And at that point it started raining... I made it home a little later than planned.

I had a spare inner tube at home, so the bike is now operational again - the rim (being steel) was not badly damaged and I was even able to re-use the outer tyre, though I would not recommend going any great distance on the bike now. Its main use, now I have a decent road bike, is for getting around the farm here. As usual you can click on the photos to enlarge them.


The ridge trail soon after leaving my bike, towards Tonalagee

Same, looking towards where I left the bike

Much of the ridge is peat like this

With wet bits

Mullaghcleevaun summit

Wet on the top too

Lough Cleevaun from high above

A bit to the right and Mullaghcleevaun East Top


2 comments:

  1. I wish there were a way to click through the enlarged photos rather than returning to the small version each time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having enlarged a pic simply use cursor keys to click through the enlarged images

    ReplyDelete