20190630

Lough Firrib and Art's Cross

Ali is in hospital. She's had a replacement hip. As a number of folk are visiting her this afternoon, I was able to go exploring. Another bike and hike. The hike part is shown below - it was not much more than 6 miles but that is all I had time for. I'm familiar with this route, which follows the river Glennamore, having done it several time before with a group of folk - but this time was a first alone and barefoot.




Looks like Google is putting them in reverse order again. If anyone can help me fix this, please?

On my descent, looking back, Arts Cross off frame to right

On my descent

Over the hills and far away

Lough Firrib

At the exit end of the lough I met a group of three walkers, with the usual gear and walking sticks. It was a bit like meeting the Lady of the Green Kirtle and the black knight - they all looked rather glum and only the leader spoke. For the sake of conversation I asked if there was a trail leading down from here. From his answer he obviously knew the terrain well, and said there'd be areas of bog. I pointed out that, with my footwear, bog didn't matter. He said "I'm not saying anything" (which wasn't quite true) but his look said a lot.


Lough Firrib

Lough Firrib

Approaching Lough Firrib, Turlough Hill on the horizon

Art's Cross and beyond

There have been several Art's Cross's

Art's Cross

Selfie

The ascent

Storm clouds - there were a few showers

The inscription at the base of the steep climb

To quote:  Art O’Neill died in 1592 on his flight from Dublin Castle to Glenmalure with Red Hugh O’Donnell. That spot lies in the valley, below, close to the foot of the nearby waterfall.


St Kevin's way, where my hike started

This bridge is part of St Kevin's way (probably not original!)

No comments:

Post a Comment