20190421

Easter weekend

Easter weekend and amazing weather, the temperature in the 20's. Too good to stay at home so having free afternoons I made the most of them and visited some favourite haunts. My method on both occasions was to cycle and then walk / run.  Although not much running. But once off bike I was bare-foot of course. I took a new ascent route through some forestry above Ballyknockan and thus made a round trip. I have a principle that, where feasible, the outward and return journeys should not used the same route.

Saturday track


Ascent through the forest

After the forest I followed a sort of path

Unusual to find company at the summit

He followed me to this pool where I turned back

Mullaghcleevaun in the distance

Descent to Ballyknockan quarry road

After the Sunday meeting and shared lunch I set off again on my trusty bike, this time to explore forestry tracks under Tonelagee. 17.5 miles cycling round trip, max speed 40.3 mph.

My plan was to use the track as a new way to Mullacleavann. But when I eventually got out of the forestry I figured I had insufficient time and so instead turned right towards Tonelagee (3rd highest in the Wicklows). I met three pairs of hikers, and overtook a fourth single man on the way down. I habitually run most of the way down from Tonelagee - it's good for the leg muscles!


Sunday track 6.51 miles
The forest track, Tonelagee in the distance

Showing the layer of peat that covers these mountains

Towards the Wicklow Gap

Having left the forest, looking back towards Mullaghcleevaun

From Stoney Top, the path to Tonelagee summit

Stoney top is hardly a peak in its own right, the descent to the saddle with Tonelagee being slight. The saddle has an area of naked damp peat which is glorious for running barefoot on. I wonder where Stoney Top gets its name from?


Some joker planted this false peak marker

Lough Ouler and me

The quick way down to Lough Ouler

The true summit, Turlough Hill reservoir in the distance

The descent - note the small lake to the right

Wicklow Gap tourist car park

Upper reach of the Kings River, under the main road

The old Annalecka bridge, close to my bike parking lot

Map of the area, my route in red

The map identifies the small lake I saw to the right of the Turlough Hill reservoir as Lough Firrib. No, I have not yet swum in Lough Firrib but I intend to some hot summer day. The red square is where I parked my bike.

You can click on the images to enlarge them.


No comments:

Post a Comment