20181007

The island identified

So - in my last post I figured I had found the miscreant island so today I confirmed it by cycling clockwise around the Kings river end of the lake (on roads - not the lake shore!). My first picture is the same as in my last post, as taken from the air by the Gardai.



The island is in the centre of my next picture taken from the highest point on the road past Valleymount, and the next is the same zoomed in so that some detail is visible.


Panorama from Blackditches

The homestead island identified

Looking back to our bridge: normally this would be all water

Taken from a bit further along this road

The next picture was taken from Johns town on what we call goat man's lane on the way home, so shows the island from a different perspective. The farm machinery that the Gardai managed to zoom into so well is just visible at the left end of the island in this picture. You can of course click on the pictures to enlarge them but I have saved you the bother in the next picture.

From Johns town

Digital zoom into the above shot

Finally here is the 25" 1888-1913 map of the area superimposed on current mapping from the OSI mapping portal, clearly showing the homestead just under the 'O' of "Monamuck". The area shaded blue is the modern normal lake level.
.

courtesy of OSI

No comments:

Post a Comment