20180526

To find new horizons


A long run (anticlockwise)

Challenges are part of life, even self inflicted ones. I think I may have mentioned my goal to reach the mountain Lobawn running from home (and I admit some walking) barefoot of course. I tried to hide the goal from myself in case I didn't make it, but went there anyway and having got there of course I had to come back, and I had to come back a different way (a rule, also self inflicted).

The map shows my GPS track with statistics:
. Total distance 19.44 miles
. Average speed moving 4.64 mph
. Maximum elevation 637m, minimum 181m

The route was along what we call Goatman's lane to the Wicklow Gap road, then take the road that is part of St. Kevin's way and up to the pass between Hollywood and Donard with Church Mnt on the right. At the summit I turned left towards Corriebracks but kept on the peaty track towards Lobawn.

The descent was initially cross county and rather hard going in places to descent into Corragh to meet the track that fords the stream there. These mountain tracks are well enough made to survive the years and I wonder who made them and why?  From Corragh it was paved road all the way home.

This is my longest run yet and my body didn't like the last few miles. It wasn't that keen on the first few either, but the bit on the top of the mountain was epic. And possibly worth all the strain.


Forty shades of green - my mum would have loved this

The path, where I disappeared up to my waist in sticky peat

Looking back, that path on left, our lake in distance

That's Church Mtn left centre, Corriebracks to right

The summit stone, or summit like that

That's why I like Irish mountain tops, OK? 

Look carefully and you'll see our lake by that tree

Delightful gully at start of my descent

Which later turned into a stream

Here I washed my lower, somewhat peaty half

Corragh, looking back, Lobawn central on horizon

My favourite flower (after daffodils, dandelions, gorse, buttercups...)


No comments:

Post a Comment