20180422

Church Mountain again


14.37 miles, 166m to 544m height

For whatever reason, but mainly because of the wonderful weather and because I could (although I am not so sure about the latter now I am aching afterwards), I started out on what must become the first climb of the year of Church Mountain. It is also a sort of precursor for Lobawn should I ever make it there and back in one piece.  See here for my first barefoot run across Church Mountain.

I discovered a new and improved descent route. It is new because I did not previously know of its existence even though doubtless it had existed, and improved because it is shorter and kinder to bare feet than the alternatives. Since few of my readers will find themselves at the top of Church Mountain wanting a better way of getting down, I present instead a description of how to ascend using this improved method.

Coming from Blessington along the N81 towards Baltinglass, take the first left after the Hollywood crossroads. Refer to my last image below which is an aerial view of this area. After a mile or so this road bears left and then, after the next bear right, enters Hollywood Glen. Immediately on your left is the entrance to a forestry track with the usual one-bar gate. It is possible for a couple of cars to park here without obstructing the gate. Walk up the track a little over 100m to the point where the main track does a hairpin bend to the right, and a lesser track branches off to the left. Just to the right of that lesser track you will see a small stream - which stream is the path you must take. Follow this path for about 200m where it enters a wooded area. The path you want branches to the right (straight on is more open country with gorse bushes).

You now simply continue on this path (crossing another forestry track after a quarter mile or so), going steadily up hill all the while, until you get near to the top of the mountain where you will need to bear left to reach the summit.

Gorse along Goat Man's lane

As with all my blog posts you can click on an image to view it in full resolution, and having done so (in Chrome at least) you can from there navigate through all the images in the post.

Possibly part of Noah's ark, along the way

At the gap, looking towards Donard

The ascent proper - I love this part of the route

Our lake framed - from near the top

From the triangulation pillar, snow on the slopes of Lugnaquilla

Our lake from the triangulation pillar

The church ruins and the way down

Me, on triangulation pillar

Part of the new and improved route down

Which weaves its way through this plantation

And meets another path

Before turning into a stream

Is it a path or is it a stream? Good thing I'm bare foot

Where the spring meets the forestry track

St Kevin's Way near Hollywood

Interesting sign along St Kevin's way!

Interesting because St Kevin's Way is a way-marked public foot-path, admittedly it goes across private land but the instruction "unauthorised entry is prohibited" is a bit rich.  Doubtless it is the usual Irish insurance deal - landowners scared stiff of being sued by stupid members of the public scraping their knee and demanding huge compensation, and the even more stupid members of the legal profession condoning such claims. Indeed, on my ascent I noticed a similar sign at a gate and various others declaring "Private Property: Keep Out" where last year there were none, other than polite requests to please shut the gate. I ignored such signs and prepared myself for confrontation, but all I met were a couple of fellow hikers (though shod) coming from the opposite direction.

Sheep near Hollywood

A big house near the end of my ordeal

Showing the lower reaches of the new improved route

No comments:

Post a Comment