20151012

Sunday bike

Only having a few hours this Sunday afternoon I decided to explore and ended up following the route of the disused Naas Tullow railway. Total distance 33.8 miles, average speed 13.3 mph. The OSI map viewer helpfully gives the railway route as a grey line and I have noted a few Points of Interest that I stopped at. In case you are interested in disused railways...

POI on OSI map

Zooming in on POI #1

An aerial view of POI #1 makes this part of the route look rather interesting and possibly navigable by foot however, when I got there, closer inspection shows it would be hard going!

POI #1 looking North

The next crossing was a granite bridge which, surprisingly, was in excellent condition.

POI #2


POI #2 and my trusty steed

What little remains of the bridge at POI #3


POI #4 at Colbinstown
The last crossing I found was an iron bridge near Colbinstown - a residence has been built over the track route on one side of this bridge and on the other is farmland with no visible trace of the railway route. And the railway was last in use within my lifetime so not very long ago.


The N81 from Merginstown Glen road
There is a sign to "Merginstown Glen" off the N81 near Donard. The name intrigued me so my return route took me via this road which runs along the top of the Carrigower river valley through which the N81 runs - you can see both just beyond the horses in my picture.

BTW the Naas -Tullow railway bridge over the Liffey in described in my previous post.

No comments:

Post a Comment