20151021

Running barefoot in the dark


Running in the dark

About this time last year I moved my early morning barefoot runs to lunchtime because it's hard to keep tabs on a dog you can't see. Sadly Meg has recently got very deaf so it is not safe taking her running any longer. So far this year, not encumbered with Meg, I have decided to keep my early morning runs even though at 0630 it is still very dark.

In fact I have not yet experienced total darkness. Either moonshine or clouds reflecting nearby city lights has given sufficient light. I carry a flash-light with me but strictly only for emergencies and to ward off inquisitive cars. I follow a predefined route that I know is reasonably barefoot friendly. And, voilĂ , so far it has worked.

There are, of course, dangers in running barefoot in the dark but largely avoidable. Or in extremes of hot or cold weather. Similarly with running in the rain. I suppose the bottom line is to be sensible. But whenever was I that?

No comments:

Post a Comment