20121205

Where was I?

I was staying with some young people for a short holiday in a house about 5 miles away from home: the other end of Goat Man's lane. On waking I found I had not packed any clothes so decided to run/walk back home to get a change of clothes then be back before the rest were ready to go out. My son-in-law Jonathan came with me and brought his bike. We had traversed a field and just gone through a gap in a hedge into a further field when I released I had not told our host where I was going, so I went back to do so then rejoined him, this time going a slightly different way through a wicket gate into the further field. By this time Jonathan had been joined by Sarah with her bike. We moved on - the grass felt good between my toes - and soon started descending into a rich and beautiful valley laced with lakes unknown to me.

I was surprised that I did not recognise the scenery given that we were so close to home but figured that sooner or later we would recognise a landmark. I was barefoot but had my trainers with me "just in case" and decided to lace them to Jonathan's bike. Whilst doing so Sarah had moved on ahead and I then had to run after her to tell her not to keep choosing the paths that led further down into the valley because I knew we would eventually have to climb out of the valley and towards the left to get home.

We continued to see no recognisable landmarks. Eventually we came to a ledge where we could look down thousands of feet into a distant valley ending in an inlet from the sea. It was intensely beautiful. There was a man there who showed us his Ordnance Survey map of the area - I unfolded it and it showed the inlet we were looking at but nothing that I recognised. I realised that we had entered another world when we came through that gap in the hedge or later the wicket gate. Later we met a man with a red blotchy face who told us where we were - he gave a name (which I do not remember) - when I looked up at him again his face was clear and I realised that it was his nervousness that had caused the blotches. After this we tried to climb out of the valley and it was then that Alison woke me.

No comments:

Post a Comment