20121020

Devil's Glen

We have often driven past the Devil's Glen on the way to Wicklow Town so, spurred on by our relatives Tony and Margaret who stayed with us and went there, I decided to "do" it.

I cycled over the Wicklow Gap, through Laragh and Annamoe, and parked the 'bike at the top of the hill at the point circled in the map. I half walked, half ran down the track to the car park near the river and then followed the "red" route up the river until it ended at the waterfall. Because there is a rule that prohibits going back the same way as I came, and since the path came to an end here, the only option was to scale the steep  side of the valley. I was, of course, barefoot. My trusty GPS guided me through a thick plantation until I met a forestry track. Thus I circumvented Tiglin, for those of you who know what that is.

Trip statistics: 55 miles, maximum speed 41.7mph (that'll be the descent from the Sally Gap), average speed 11.4mph, fuel: one lump of cheese and some chocolate.  Plus the walk which, according to Google Earth, was just over 4 miles.

Map courtesy of Ordnance Survey Ireland
A film set

Looking down over the property our family calls "the Secret Garden"

First view of the Vartry river



There are strange sculptures along the way


This is the beginning (or the ending?) of the waterfall

The waterfall at the end of the trail. I apologize for the way my Htc Desire  over-exposes

The is the waterfall the other way around

Back over the Sally Gap

The Liffey valley - I love these trees

These guys were stopping to take photos too

The Htc camera does not do justice to the beauty of this place



I stopped here because this is one of my enchanted places


St John's church


Hmm... in the exposed spot is the only view I could get of the mound... Perhaps it is an aura caused by the enchantment!

A deep channel on the other side of the bridge

You can walk under the bridge

These people, and another guy were avidly taking photos and agreed with me that "there is something special about this place.





No comments:

Post a Comment