20120503

Running bare feet 4

At last some slightly warmer weather.  I did the forest circuit bare foot again first thing this morning.  This is the first time this year at this time of day.


Here is some practical advice for would be barefoot runners.


Could it be that one's feet are softer after a night's sleep?

It is true that I run slower bare foot than shod when the surface is iffy and that I tend to land on the full foot to spread the load.  This is bad, but I figure that if I don shoes for those hard parts my feet will never harden.

It is also true that on short grass (or sand, or very smooth pavement but grass is best) my feet tend to rise so that I both land and spring off from the ball of my foot, and this greatly increases my speed now that my calf muscles are beginning to adapt.  My body tells me that this is how I am meant to run: it feels good, it lifts you up a couple of inches, it feels more efficient.

Never take your eyes off the ground ahead for more than a moment.  Something caught my eye on the horizon today and my eyes dwelt on it just too long and my left foot landed on a thistle.

No comments:

Post a Comment