20210815

Culm source again and Wellington to boot

It's Sunday afternoon and J's bike is luring me so I set off to find the source of the river Culm. On our last visit I had failed to go far enough to find it so this time I was more determined - I went far enough but still failed to find it. After all it's probably only a dribble in some farmer's field. In case you're interested it is somewhere in that triangle at furthest right that is just off the map.


My track 30.9 miles 664m height gain


My return route was chosen to minimise height variation and take a look at the newly restored Wellington monument (top centre on map). I was a little disappointed - the restoration work is not yet complete, the monument is still surrounded with ugly high metal fencing, and the place was swarming with Other People. Still, they have removed all the scaffolding and have done a good job repointing and replacing weathered stones. For me restoration should include the ability for Joe Bloggs to climb to the top and look out of those enticing windows.





No comments:

Post a Comment