20210322

A bygone era


N, HO and O gauge

Sorting through stuff during Ali's Major Spring Clean I uncovered the above remnants of a bygone era. My own N gauge Treble-O-Lectrik by Lone Star which would be collectors' pieces if only they were in good working condition. The next by Triang and KitMaster both from my father's extensive railway room layout. And finally a piece of Lima O gauge stock which I think my father had purchased for a future but was never-to-be outdoor layout.

My parents had invited a young man A to Sunday tea. He was the son of the lead elder in my parent's church, and would in due course go on himself to become the present lead elder. He is also a major character in another story. Oh, cruel memories! Now my father often sneaked off to the the railway room of a Sunday afternoon, much to the chagrin of my mother who thought Sundays should be family days, and I would shortly follow suite and so we would be entrenched until my mother called up the loft staircase "tea time!" But on this occasion it would not have been decorum to so disappear - instead my father asked A if he would like to come and see the model railway. A declined. What an anti-climax! What a revelation into the mind of this young man - I mean, who, in their right mind, would decline such an offer? What a recrimination on church leadership! Did this mean you could not reasonably be a model train enthusiast and a fully committed Christian 100% for God? At the time the choice was obvious for myself. Model trains ruled, OK?

And, just to prove that I do not spend all my time side-stepping figuring how to pose the continuation of my Gunpowder post, here's the lake looking downstream from the Blessington bridge, the photographer having been conveyed there by his trusty bicycle.



 



No comments:

Post a Comment