20221107

Hearing God speak

I wrote this post some while ago but did not publish it at the time, possibly because I was afraid of the possible repercussions of "coming out" in this respect. But since I am now working on a sequel I figured I had better publish this first so that I can refer back to it. The whole story that I want to convey will thus become rather long and drawn out, but so it must if I am to be faithful to my inner convictions (or lack of them). Let he be blessed who reads it all and can convince me otherwise.

She of the Green Kirtle

There are folk who live here that claim that God (or Jesus maybe) speaks to them on a regular basis. It is not my place to judge them - perhaps God does often speak to them which would of course be wonderful. True, there have been occasions when I have thought God was leading me - here I refer to an inner conviction (or at least a feeling), not an audible voice. But as I intimated in my recent post I now wonder if even this was in fact just wishful thinking, and thus I also wonder if these folk blessed by frequent conversations with Almighty God are also imagining it.

I am not talking about the word of God as in the Scripture which we understand is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, and in which long ago, at many times and in many ways, God spoke to our fathers by the prophets, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son. Such is God's general word to us whereas I am talking about specific direction from God to an individual.

A quick Google search on God's voice will uncover countless "Christian" sites - whacky and more staid and the sort that make you puke. These list the trad evangelical methods of "hearing God" that I had drummed into me as a young person and which include the supposed Still Small Voice. On the other hand, sites like this one claim that listening for God’s voice in your heart is a very new development and it’s deeply flawed.

The human mind is capable of all manner of strange artefacts - individuals we used to call "lunatic", now given PC euphemisms, who hear voices in their head; times when I have thought I had seen something "out of the corner of my eye" but then on looking more intently it is gone; vivid dreams that possibly have meaning, certainly have cause. And the "voice" of my inner conscience that deliberates my thought process, and with which I can (if I like) converse with. Perhaps this is what other folk think is God speaking? If so then it strikes me that it reflects a particularly poor sort of God, and this reminds me of the pretty poor world of She of the Green Kirtle.

Sure, you'll find many instances in the Bible of God, or an angel sent by God, speaking to this one or that. Like with Gideon. But if you consider the time period spanned by the Bible you'll find that these instances were relatively infrequent, indeed the exception and not the norm. Granted, Jesus said "my sheep hear my voice" and possibly meant this to include after his ascension, but he didn't say how often.

In this article, one that quotes Dallas Willard who seems to have been a big name in American evangelicalism, Bill Gaultiere writes "It’s hard to imagine an intimate relationship with Christ that does not include regular experiences of hearing his voice. An interactive relationship with God is conversational...". Later he writes "Today he is still speaking to our hearts in 'gentle whispers' (1 Kings 19:12)". The reference is to Elijah's "still small voice" often quoted by those who promote the personal relationship deal. But I am not at all sure that Elijah frequently heard God speak like this.

The thing is, having been brought up a staunch evangelical I feel like I ought to often hear God's voice even though my experience says otherwise. Which is sort of devastating in a way that a non-evangelical could never understand. My prayer life becomes less conversational. It becomes harder to take seriously those who really believe God speaks to them as often as their best friend. And I wonder if the foundations are cracking under my feet.

1 comment:

  1. Like you, I was raised to believe that Hearing from God was a prerequisite for living a life of Good. Naturally, as I seldom did hear, I considered myself defective. There was a period in my late teens when I had a sort of mental breakdown of sorts, I must now think it was, where I seemed to 'hear from God' rather directly for a few days. Eventually, I backed off from this fevered pitch of constantly checking my proposed next action against this intuition, as it was not emotionally sustainable.

    Now that I am older, I think I have had some of the same thoughts you have had. I'm not quite ready to give up the idea of a personal God who could speak to me — and many times I have had intuitions that seemed to be in tune with this idea — but it is not an easy discernment.

    I am keenly aware of signal-to-noise ratios. Increasing signal does not always increase SNR. Now that camera-phones are ubiquitous, there are shockingly few instances of previously "photographable" paranormal phenomena — Bigfoot, Nessie, UFOs, ghosts, all more or less amazingly invisible to these synthetic replicas for our sensorium.

    I've read that one can fax prayers to the Wailing Wall, so perhaps God is moving with the times and now has a Twitter account, at least until Elon bans it… The converse, a special Dropbox in which God could pop well-worded and timely messages to His devotee, does not seem to be forthcoming. In fact, those who claim to now be Hearing From God are shockingly among those least likely to be practical examples of following His previous messages and suggestions!
    J

    ReplyDelete