20160417

Wanna photo?


The appointed place

There were two girls (in particular) who attended our church "adventurers club" meetings, back when I was a teenager. One, 'S', a sensible girl, somewhat matronly. The other 'C' with an impish face. I thought I liked 'C'. I suppose I thought I might love her. But she was more worldly wise than I and returned my leers with "wanna photo?" - I too nervous to reply in the affirmative. Only later did I realise that it was only her face I liked - herself I did not know at all.

Not knowing how else to force the issue, I wrote her a letter inviting her to meet me, one evening, in Drove Lane. For her it was a short walk from her council estate home. For me it was several miles. With some trepidation I set off - I cannot remember what story I told my parents to mitigate my absence - and was somewhat surprised to meet 'S' at the appointed place. She came bearing a negative message from 'C' - my plan had been spilled and thankfully nothing more came of it. But to this day I have wondered what might have happened. What consequences was I eternally saved from by dear 'S' who, of the pair, was much more worthy of love?

That was long before 'J' loomed on my horizon, a more suitable girl who I had much more deeply rooted affection for. For whom I would spend long hours (or so it seemed) in prayerful agony. Mini skirts were "in" and she had the most awesome legs. And 'J' did have good credentials - her father was one of the church elders, her mother spread the best young-people's-meeting food and besides 'J' herself made the most delicious cheese straws. But it was not to be. For which I also thank God, otherwise I would not be were I am today blessed with a lifelong companion and lover who makes up for my many lacks and encourages me, and four most wonderful children each so gifted and blessed of whom I am unworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment