20160331

Enduring love


from the film

This book by Ian McEwan starts with a man falling to his death from a balloon - it is disturbing in the way it portrays how easily a chance encounter can devastate a seemingly stable person's well being. Although the chance encounter is with someone with de ClĂ©rambault's syndrome which is a bit way out. But one should not necessarily believe all that one reads because he also writes "From one of the downstairs apartments came a muffled symphonic climax, banal and overstated, Bruckner perhaps" (ref). This may present a common prejudice rather succinctly and I know it does not have to affect my own opinions but, insecure as I am, it makes me wonder whether if it is I who am banal (= so lacking in originality as to be obvious and boring) and overstated?

No comments:

Post a Comment