20150107

Lost boys





I have just finished reading Lost boys by Orson Scott Card. Incidentally I was struck by similarities between Card's description of the Mormon faith and our own church beliefs. And yet we would not in any way align ourselves with Mormonism. The plot is, of course, infinitely sad with eight boys mutilated and murdered by a seemingly harmless and neighbourly old man. Card manages to cut right through the inhibitions which prevent most of us even voicing things associated with sexual perversion, exposing the weakness of our bodily appetites at the same time as upholding common decency and the strength of character required to control the same. Card's blunt descriptions are the opposite of euphemisms and that is a main reason why I like his writing style, why I was drawn to Ender's Game even though the bluntness almost offended me. We do much harm in covering things up, in not being willing to talk openly when open talking is needed. And I point the finger at myself - I suppose I am frightened of doing so because of what people might think. Indeed one raison d'être for this blog is so that I can try to express things that I find hard to talk about.

After setting the book down we are left agreeing, of course, that the old man must never be allowed to molest again, but not hating and condemning him so much as beginning to understand what drove him to do those terrible things. We are left feeling sadder for him than for his eight victims. Because the same 'Boy', or alter ego, that controlled him, or at least similar weakness, is found in each one of us. O wretched man that I am! Who shall deliver me from the body of this death?

No comments:

Post a Comment